It’s that time of year – the time for top ten lists, and “year in review” posts, and the dreaded New Year’s resolutions…
On the resolution front, I keep promising myself to be kind to myself and to not “over-resolve.” I make this promise every year, and every year I still put way too many expectations on myself. This year, though, I’m hoping everyone holds me to my plan to be kind to myself – so much so that I’ve posted over on Indie Jane about the dangers of “over-resolving.”
I also tend to feel really unaccomplished at the end of the year. There’s something about realizing an entire twelve months has flown by that makes you panic and think “I’m not doing enough!” So I think it is important to take a breather and recognize the good things that have been accomplished this year. Here’s some of mine.
1. I published two novels and a short story collection this year. That’s pretty awesome.
2. I wrote aforementioned short story collection. It was a really hard, long, and personal process for me to write those four stories.
3. I was able to get all three of my novels converted to audiobook.
4. I took a trip by myself! My first time spending the night away from my kids. And we all survived.
5. I took a trip with kids by myself! Traveling with two kids isn’t always easy, but we had a fabulous time driving to CO to visit my parents for a week.
6. I was able to beta read for several author friends.
7. I’ve completely changed my work out habits – from never working out to working out several times a week and doing things I never thought I’d be able to accomplish. As a result my body has really changed and gotten a lot stronger.
I’m not going to lie, 2013 was a really hard year for me personally. It feels good to be able to list these off and see tangible proof that things were accomplished and improved.
What are some of your accomplishments this year?